Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Fred Thompson - Class Act


I have always liked Fred Thompson. Part of it is his Southern mannerisms...they reflect those that I was raised with and aspired to. Saying "sir" and "ma'am" (except to Boxer, who I'd call "bitch") were drilled into me. I'm over 50 and I still say "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am" to those that are 30 years younger than I am. It's just how I was raised.

This, in my opinion, will go down in history as a classic Fred quote:
On Neil Cavuto yesterday: "Connecticut Attorney General Richard Blumenthal said he "misspoke about his service" when he said he served in Vietnam, even though he didn't.Ya know it's a shame. It's little stuff like this that gives lying conniving politicians a bad name." [emphasis mine]
That's pretty good. I got a belly laugh out of it. Fred has played military roles in the movies, and he reminds me of Gen Chuck Yeager and COB6...that southern drawl, laconic, always in control, calm in the face of danger, with a healthy dose of humility and self-deprecation tossed in. (Well, humility from COB? Give me a little literary license, you know?) I know part of that is his acting persona, but it is how I think of the man. Class act.

H/T The Corner

No comments: