Sunday, April 05, 2009

Where is the next George Strait?

I'm watching the Country Music Awards, and I just said to THE BOSS, "Hey, this ain't country music". It's pop, a little jazz, rock and roll, all jumbled together.

I know I'm an old fart, but I was very happy when George Strait entered the scene. I was in college, before George was a star, and we'd go listen to his band at The Skellar in San Marcos. Now he's the heir apparent to George Jones and Merle Haggard, not to mention Bob Wills. God bless him as he keeps traditional country music alive.

Where's the next generation of traditional country? I don't listen to this new crap. And what the hell kind of name is Kelly Pickler or Taylor Swift? Keith Urban? Puh-LEEZ!

Gimme some Asleep at the Wheel any day.


If you can't pick out Johnny Gimble, you ain't country. (Hint: 1:19)