Friday, August 22, 2008

We Need More Men and Women Like This

From NRO:

I'm an avid reader of The Corner, and I enjoyed very much your post today, "A Call, and An answer", about the two newly-commissioned Marines who just graduated from Dartmouth. I myself am headed into my second year as an undergraduate at the University of Oxford, where I am studying Classics & English. I'm an American citizen - making my undergraduate position at Oxford relatively unusual - and even more unusually, once I'm done I plan to apply for a commission in the US Army, hopefully in the Airborne Infantry. While I have the full support of my family and closest friends in this, you can imagine the questions I often am asked from people who don't know me that well. I was hugely pleased, therefore, to come across this quotation this year from Thucydides, the father of all military history: "The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."


Amen...God Bless our kids.

H/T NRO

No comments: