Thursday, July 03, 2008

Straight Talk instead of Abby-talk

Before you read this, here's how I'd answer the letter.

Dear Confused:

You ignorant slut. Are you freaking kidding me? Of course you should be with this guy. And give your child up for adoption, because you don't have the brains God gave a gnat. The fact that you would consider giving up your child for this human pond scum means you are unfit to be a parent.

Now read the letter:

Posted on Tue, Jul. 01, 2008 10:15 PM

Dear Abby: Woman’s choice should be obvious

DEAR ABBY: I have been in a relationship with “Wade” for six years. The situation is this: He has gotten into trouble and can’t be around children because he’s a registered sex offender. I have an 11-month-old daughter by him. I want to be with Wade and work our relationship out, but if I do, I’ll have to give custody of my daughter to my parents and live in my own place with him.

I’m in love with Wade, but I don’t know if he loves or wants to be with me anymore despite the fact he keeps saying he wants to be with me. Am I being silly for still wanting to be with him? Your thoughts, please. — Confused and Torn in Illinois

DEAR CONFUSED AND TORN: Wanting to be with someone you love isn’t silly, but it’s time for you to think maturely and realize the consequences of your decision. After six years with Wade, you are still single. You could be single forever.

When you became a mother, life stopped being all about you. Wade is a sex offender. What if you should become pregnant again? Is it fair to your parents to dump your daughter on them like an unwanted pet? What effect could it eventually have on the child? Do you fully understand that what you have in mind will isolate you from relatives and friends who have minor children?

While I can’t dictate what you should do with your life, I can say you’re heading in the wrong direction. Please step back and rethink this.

© Universal Press Syndicate 7/2

Was in the Kansas City Star
H/T The Corner

No comments: